We are pleased to announce the launch of the Two-Year Diploma program in Kalaripayattu on January 15, 2021. The program is designed to create greater awareness of our traditional and folk arts of India.
The proposed program is divided into four six-month certificate programs. The four levels that will be taught are:
- Meiabhyasi (Basic Level for building flexibility, balance and agility)
- Yashtiyabhyasi (Training in wooden weapons like Long stick, short stick and curved stick)
- Ayudhabhyasi (Training in metal weapons like Dagger, sword and shield, and (Urmi) flexible sword)
- Marmabhyasi (Training in bare-handed combat)
The two year intensive program, split as six-month semesters will combine theoretical and practical training with a focus on preparing students to specialize in various aspects of Kalaripayattu like:
- Kalaripayattu teacher’s training
- Kalaripayattu for performing artistes and actors
- Kalaripayattu for Physiotherapy and sports medicine
- Kalaripayattu for coaches and fitness trainers
These are only a few of the several applications where this training can be applied. The research facilities available at Kalarigram will also offer trainees to continue further studies in Kalaripayattu and related disciplines.